1 the state of being split or cleft
2 the breaking of a chemical bond in a molecule resulting in smaller molecules
3 (embryology) the repeated division of a fertilised ovum [syn: segmentation]
4 the line formed by a groove between two parts (especially the separation between a woman's breasts)
5 the act of cleaving or splitting
- The hollow or separation between a woman's breasts, especially as revealed by a low neckline.
- The act of cleaving or the state of being cleft.
- The tendency of a crystal to split along specific planes.
- The splitting of a large molecule into smaller ones.
- The repeated division of a cell into daughter cells after mitosis.
Synonymsseparation between breasts
separation between breasts
the act or the state
mineralogy: tendency of a crystal
- Czech: štěpnost
- German: Spaltneigung, Schieferung
biology: cell division
Cleavage in general refers to a division or separation of form. Its usage is heavily dependent on cultural context, where it may refer to:
- Partial exposure of part of the body:
- Cleavage (crystal), in mineralogy and materials science, is a process of splitting a single crystal.
- Cleavage (geology), Foliation perpendicular to stress as a result of ductile deformation. e.g. shales (shists)
- Cleavage (embryo), in embryology, is the division of cells in the early embryo.
- Cleavage (fiber), in optical fibers.
- Teeth cleavage or tooth cleavage, slang for Diastema (dentistry), the gap between a person's two front teeth.
- In cell biology, the Cleavage furrow is the indentation that begins the process of cleavage, by which animal cells undergo cytokinesis.
- Cleavage (chemistry and biochemistry) The breaking of chemical bonds.
- Cleavage (politics) The divisions of society that cause people to vote differently
cleavage in Ido: Klivo
cleavage in Italian: Sfaldatura
cleavage in Portuguese: Clivagem
abscission, alienation, alpha decay, amputation, atom-chipping, atom-smashing, atomic disintegration, atomic reaction, atomization, beta decay, bombardment, breach, breach of friendship, break, breeding, bullet, butchering, chain reaction, chasm, chopping, cleft, cutting, dichotomy, disaffection, disfavor, disintegration series, disruption, dissociation, disunion, disunity, divergence, dividedness, division, enucleation, estrangement, exchange reaction, excision, falling-out, fission, fission reaction, gamma decay, ionization, laceration, mutilation, neutron reaction, nonreversible reaction, nuclear fission, nucleization, open rupture, photodisintegration, proton gun, proton reaction, recall of ambassadors, rending, resection, reversible reaction, rift, ripping, rupture, schism, scission, section, separation, severance, slashing, slicing, split, splitting, splitting the atom, stimulation, surgery, target, tearing, thermonuclear reaction